1174 the grounds of the old castle Arnsburg near Lich were donated to the Cistercian monks from Eberbach. The stones of the old castle were used by the monks to build their monastery Arnsburg nearby at the Wetter river and startet to settle there in 1191.
The ruins of the monastery are a very famous site.
The founder of the Cistecian order, Bernard of Clairvaux, is greeting the visitors, holding a book and a crosier at the gatehouse (1774-1777). Leaving the monastery the visitors get blessed by St. Mary.
The walls of the monastery have a height of 3 to 5 m, at the hillside up ti 8.5 m. Farm buildings are to be found left and right of the gatehouse as well as a garden. These days the old monastery mill, a half-timbered house from the second half of the 17th century as well as the old brewery house are used as a restaurant.
The monastic buildings are found opposite the mill in the centre of the walled off area. The building of the church probably began in the year 1197. An old papal charter states the church to be dedicated around 1246. As the arches of the churches bays reveal the church was built in the transition time form the Romanesque to the Gothic style. Several chapels were attached to the choir apsis. a big outside staircase lead from the south transept to the monks dormitorium, which is not in ruins like the church and serves nowadays as an assembly or concert hall. Above the vestry there was a gallery , from where ill and old monks could follow the services.
The "Arnsburg Paradise", the former entrance hall of the church is mentioned first in 1493. Today it is a small church itself.
In the years 1959 - 1960 cloister courtyard became an extraordinary war memorial. 447 soldiers and victims from different nationalities of World War II are buried next to each other, having found their peace and quiet.
Estate Güll, south-west of the monastery, in former days belonged to Arnsburg monastery. Inscriptions of the abbot Robert Kolb 1699 - 1700 at the main house, at the cellar and barn from 1714 and 1715 as well as another mentioned year, 1718, show, all these buildings being erected in Baroque times.
Kolnhausen, situated between the monastery and the town of Lich, belonged to Arnsburg monastery as well. The walls and the gate are from medieval days, the main house from 1721 in Baroque style.