1260 a feudal tenure farmstead is mentioned first in a charter of Haina monastery as Ober-Bessingen. From 1436 on it belonged to the Counts of Solms-Lich, from the beginning of the 19th century on to the Grand Duchy Hesse-Darmstadt.
In 1675 though, Ober-Bessingen nearly completely burned. The major buildings are the "Pforte" (barbican) and the church
The barbican became a mayors house at one point and is one of the very few remaining barbicans in Germany. It is a replacement from 1782 for the 1675 burned previous building. Symmetrically the two ground floors support a third floor, which is build above the gate itself. The roof has a square turret with a small dome roof.
The church named "Holy Cross Chapel" lies in a walled off church yard. In gothic style it was built and reconstructed around 1500. In the 16th century it was extended wit a late gothic chapel. The ceiling of the nave has a very special cross-ribbed vaulting.
Remarkable are the endbosses: In the nave a coat of arms, a quatrefoil and a rose, in the side aisle a head surrounded by leaves. Floral ornaments are to be seen at the galleries.
In 1954 very remakable late gothic paintings were rediscovered. The gilded crucifix is very old, from around 1200. The church got renovated in 2002 and is certainly worth a visit.